LE VILLAGE MARTYR D'ORADOUR-SUR-GLANE
Petit Futé's opinion on LE VILLAGE MARTYR D'ORADOUR-SUR-GLANE
The ruins of the martyred village, which cover an area of 15 hectares and were declared a historical monument on 10 May 1946, have been maintained in the same state as they were the day after the massacre. Signs invite those present to meditate on the paths and roads where bullet holes can still be seen on the walls as well as cars and rails left in their original state. The preservation of this village after the massacre bears witness to this atrocious barbarity for future generations. Oradour is a symbol of a France wounded by the German occupation. The new Oradour, rebuilt by the State, is a typical example of post-war urban planning with its right-angled streets. The new church, inaugurated in 1953, has stained glass windows designed by Pierre Parot and made by Francis and Pierre Chigot. The Centre de la Mémoire offers a tour recounting the expansion of Nazism in Europe up to the Bordeaux trial: five exhibition areas allow visitors to understand why Oradour-sur-Glane, a peaceful village in the Haute-Vienne, fell prey to Nazi barbarism. Instructive for all audiences.
Information on LE VILLAGE MARTYR D'ORADOUR-SUR-GLANE
Open all year round. Access through the Centre de la mémoire in Oradour-sur-Glane The Centre de la mémoire is open 7 days a week from 1 February to 15 December inclusive. Animals not allowed. Open all year round. Opening hours depending on the period. Annual closure from 16 December to 31 January inclusive. Parking under video surveillance. Free of charge. Elevator serves the different levels of the centre and the martyr village.
Services offered by LE VILLAGE MARTYR D'ORADOUR-SUR-GLANE
- Accessible aux fauteuils roulants
- Accessible aux personnes à mobilité réduite