CHURCH OF ST. NICHOLAS
Petit Futé's opinion on CHURCH OF ST. NICHOLAS
The merchant K. Sibiryakov, caught in the ice, prayed to Nicholas of Myra, patron saint of sailors. With his crew saved, he had a church built, dedicated to him in 1844, in the village of Nicola, on the banks of the Angara River. The building was moved twice to Listvyanka in 1848 and again in 1956, following the rise in water levels following the commissioning of the Irkutsk dam. The church, very bright, is distinguished by its octagonal dome. It is surrounded by a pleasant garden. The beautiful residence that precedes it is one of the residences of the Archbishop of Irkutsk.