The first bastioned town in France, a century before Vauban, Navarrenx is today a member of the association of the most beautiful villages in France, the world capital of salmon, and a renowned stopover on the roads to Santiago de Compostela. Traces of settlement date back to the first centuries before our era. In 1289, the stone bridge was built, thanks to it, the circulation towards the Pyrenean passes (Ronceveaux and Somport) was simplified. Destroyed, it was rebuilt in 1583 and still exists. The first fortresses were built during this period. In 1316, the village received the status of bastide from the Viscountess Marguerite de Béarn. In the 16th century, Henri II d'Albret asserted his power by reinforcing the military value of the city. He rebuilt the ramparts (still visible today) as well as the powder magazine, the military fountain and the arsenal. The city suffered the Wars of Religion then the Revolution before losing its military function at the end of the 19th century.

To see / do Navarrenx

Prepare for your trip Navarrenx

Transportation
  • Airport/Station car parks
Accommodations
  • Find a hotel
  • Airbnb rental
  • Holiday rental
Stays
  • Tailor-made trip
Services / On site
  • Book a table
  • Activities & visits

Pictures Navarrenx

There are currently no pictures for this destination.

Review