The ancient "Frons stagni" is located on the edge of the pond of Ingril, at the foot of a hill of vineyards giving the prestigious Muscat celebrated by the palaces of Louis XV, Jefferson and the illustrious English philosopher John Locke, who had the pleasure to taste it during his stay in Languedoc in 1679. Frontignan is said by some to owe its name to a Roman consul, Junius Sextus Frontinus, known as "Frontin". The town was occupied in the 12th century by a formidable gang leader called Seguin de Badefol, whom, as an anecdote, Charles II of Navarre only managed to get rid of by poisoning him with figs. Frontignan was occupied by the Burgundians in 1418, then by the Catholics who drove the Protestants out in 1562. Louis XIII made it a maritime capital of Languedoc, establishing an Admiralty headquarters there in 1629. In the recent past, Frontignan produced muscat brandies, essences of thyme and aspic (a variety of lavender), and Ingril's saltworks delivered 200,000 quintals of salt per year. Today, its Muscat wine, appreciated by Rabelais, Louis XIV and Voltaire, is known worldwide.

It has a superb and elegant town hall, with its small belfry reminiscent of those in the North of France. The Chapel of the Penitents, where a small museum is installed, and the fortified church of Saint-Paul are classified as Historic Monuments. A few houses, some of them from the Belle Epoque, contribute to the charm of this gentle city.

To see / do Frontignan

Prepare for your trip Frontignan

Transportation
  • comp_pv_maritime
Accommodations
  • Find a hotel
  • Holiday rental
  • Airbnb rental
Stays
  • Tailor-made trip
Services / On site
  • Airbnb experiences
  • Book a table
  • Activities & visits

Pictures Frontignan

There are currently no pictures for this destination.

Review